[Techtalk] portland, OR sim cards for germany

Sonja Krause-Harder krauseha at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 19:31:52 UTC 2015

Hi Carla,

you can buy german SIM cards in Germany. Everybody speaks English
here, so if you don't have a completely incomprehensible accent, or
manage to supress it for a few minutes, you won't have a problem ;-)

If you need data and plan on visiting the countryside around Berlin it
maybe worth to check the coverage in advance. My O2 only works in
cities in eastern germany, T-Mobile should be a bit better. All three
big german mobile network carriers (T-Mobile, Vodafone, O2) have
coverage maps on their web sites (and english versions of their web
sites too). If you stay in Berlin it doesn't matter.

Prices for prepaid data change all the time. I last bought some extra
when I moved in March and paid 35 EUR for 5 GB with Vodafone -- but
you might already find something cheaper if you check the web sites.
Holler if you need help.

If you need cheap international calls, Lebara may be worth a look as well.

It is possible that you need to give a street address in the shop when
you buy a prepaid SIM. If you're not comfortable with making one up or
giving the hotel address, send me an email and I give you mine, just
in case.

cheers,
Sonja (not in Berlin, alas. You don't plan to be in Nuremberg too, do you?)