[Techtalk] werid status of msgs, maybe from remote access tech support-- help?

Terry tech at futurecourse.com
Tue Aug 4 14:45:45 UTC 2015

On 04/08/2015 06:34, Malmrose wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I used to be a regular on LinuxChix lists. I had a few too-busy-for
> any-list years and now I'm back because of an issue I haven't been able to
> understand / solve.
>
> After getting only 3 hours sleep last night, I'm ready to ask for help.
>
> Do any of you do remote access tech support?
>
> I'm trying to determine if my private messages to a friend are being read
> by someone else.
>
> Help me troubleshoot? This has occurred 20+ times over the course of 2
> weeks.
>
> * I send a message (private message) to a friend on FB.
>
> * The message is marked "Seen" within a few minutes, but my friend's status
> is "Active 17 hours ago," or someother <24 number of hours. (This friend
> lives in a very remote location and checks email only once a day.)
>
> My guess is that perhaps someone is accessing my friend's FB account
> without logging in as the account owner.
>
> I can't think of any other scenario in which this could occur.
>
> The messages often have sensitive content. If someone is accessing the
> account remotely, I need to be far more careful! FB is currently my own way
> to contact this person so all our communication has gone through this one
> pipeline.
>
> I actually have (expensive!) tickets to go visit this friend, will be there
> 11 days from now, but in the meantime, I'd like to find out if there is
> another way a message can be marked Seen but the account owner be afk.
>
> Advice? Help?
>
> Cathy Malmrose

Found this:
http://www.quora.com/Does-Facebook-remove-Seen-when-I-mark-a-message-as-unread

While not specifically about your question, it does go through a lot of
info on what Facebook does with Seen and how messages get marked.  Might
be a good starting point so you can rule out some things.

--
Terry