[Techtalk] finding bad files

agoats at compuserve.com agoats at compuserve.com
Tue Apr 14 01:51:40 UTC 2015

I've been through dying disks as well, and the terrabyte ones are rough.

I found ClamAV is able to find bad files and move them to another
directory. It looks for them as an opportunity to create memory leaks
and the like.  No virus or trojan, just not coming up with the right
sizes et al. It also cleans up the other nonsense as well... ;D

I bought another drive the same size or larger (been through this a few
times) and moved all files that could be moved to the new drive.

I used ddrescue to recover the other files and in some cases, to recover
entire drives. For the drives with the recovered filesystem, I ran
e2fsck to fix the transferred files with better success than trying to
fix the failing drive. Fewer bad files to fix and less lockups.

I've tried badblocks, but it has limits. IF the drive has soft error
patches, you may not fix all of the errors because they happened to pass
when you ran badblocks but fail later (hot day, cold day shift in head
to sector alignment, phase of the moon, all the bugaboos).

I've done the hdparm disk drive zeroing; not easy, but done a few times.
Takes forever to do. If you aren't careful, it can brick your drive. I
bricked one myself!

Use the DOS boot floppy disk versions of the OEM software like Western
Digital's dlgdiag, or Seagate's 2 disk version. They zero much faster
and less frustrating. Do the FULL zero, so it writes zeros over the
entire disk. As it does so, it re-reads the disk and hardware locks out
the bad areas. Once it can no longer re-allocate sectors, the drive
starts shrinking in size. I've managed to run a few drives a couple more
years this way, just have to make sure you don't store truly valuable
items on those drives. If you have sufficient re-allocatable space left,
it can fix the SMART drive's info so you don't have the constant nag
errors. The one I just zeroed wouldn't complete the SMART tests, it
would hang up until I rebooted the computer. Running dlgdiag and zeroing
the drive fixed that issue completely.

I've just completed the above on a 1 TB drive. Now to put it back to
use.... ;D

Alvin