[Techtalk] C programming study group

Bonnie King b at bonnielking.com
Fri Oct 3 13:42:03 UTC 2014

For getting into the kernel I highly recommend the Eudyptula Challenge:

http://eudyptula-challenge.org/

I'm working through it now despite having to basically learn C at the
same time. It should be much easier for you if you're proficient in C
already.

It's not really appropriate for group study though as you're supposed
to do your own work and asking for help in public will get you banned.

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 8:15 AM, Bethany Seeger <bethany at seeger.ws> wrote:
> Deborah, where would you recommend starting in the kernel?  I've wanted
> to break into that for a while (I know C very well), but am not sure
> where to start.
>
> Thanks!
> Bethany
>
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014, at 09:13 PM, Deborah Gronke Bennett wrote:
>> After you master the basics, I look at kernel sources to see how the
>> language is really used.
>>
>> -deborah
>>
>> On 10/02/2014 05:07 PM, Alison Chaiken wrote:
>> > Camilla asks:
>> > I recommend van der Linden's _Deep C Secrets_ and Reese's
>> > _Understanding and Using C Pointers_:
>> >
>> > http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920028000.do
>> >
>> > The latter is available as an e-book.   The former, like K&R, contains
>> > exercises that a group might profitably work together, along with
>> > solutions.    I have worked many of these exercises myself and would
>> > be happy to discuss them.
>> >
>> > K&R is also available as a PDF somewhere.
>> >
>> > -- Alison

Bonnie King
773-799-4608