[Techtalk] still fedup after fedora upgrade

Meryll Larkin mll at alwanza.com
Sat Nov 29 22:55:42 UTC 2014

This is not a question so much as it is a warning to others who might
consider using Fedora 20 for their desktop environment.

I have reached the "final straw".  I am now removing Fedora 20 and choosing
Mint for my desktop environment.  I didn't want to do this because my
webserver is CentOS, but I can't put up with one more Fedora screw up.

It all started when - after a very painful series of upgrades - I had gotten
my desktop working pretty well - even booting  - coming to a command prompt
without me needing to manually select the menu option, so I thought
(stupidly) that it was time to get Fedora 20 working "all the way", just
like my Fedora 13 did.

I tried to run X over SSH.  This had worked perfectly in Fedora 13 and,
since I hadn't made changes to iptables or SELinux (which I run in enforcing
mode), I figured it should work.   I opened an Xterm with X capability.  I
ssh'ed using the -Y switch.  And I had limited success.  Very limited.  I
had a video acceleration error.  The desktop would display (slowly) but it
would not respond to either mouse nor keyboard and then it would crash.

I was using gnome so I thought, maybe other desktops would work better, so I
logged into my Dev machine, switched my desktop to kde, with similar result.
Tried a few more troubleshooting ideas off the web (which I kept track of
and have since undone), rebooted, and now my native Xwindows  on my Dev
machine no longer works.  When I startx it brings up the gray screen of
death with an unhappy face that says "oh no, something has gone terribly
wrong".

In attempting to fix this I found instructions to run:
Xorg :1 -configure
Which responds "configuration failed"
number of created screens does not match number of detected devices

Okay, I figured.  Maybe uninstalling my XWindows environment, including
gnome, etc, and then reinstalling it with yum would give me a clean install
and my XWindows would work again.

GUESS WHAT?

Yum groups are broken in Fedora 20
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F20_bugs

This is beyond forgivable.  No more Fedora for me.

Meryll Larkin