[Techtalk] home server and digitizing documents

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Thu May 8 01:26:29 UTC 2014

I use tesseract for OCR. It's free and very reliable.
http://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/

It was originally proprietary software developed by HP-Labs. Google
bought it and open-sourced it. It's gone from strength to strength.
In its early days it couldn't cope with multiple columns, but the
version I have (v3.00) does. They're up to version 3.03 so I should
upgrade again.

It tends to be a bit sensitive to resolution, having an optimum range
about 300 - 600 dpi for ordinary print. And I've found it works best
with grayscale images, though it works well with color too.

Tesseract does just basic OCR. It doesn't fix hyphenation and it can
make occasional stupid mistakes like putting the number "1" in a word
instead of the letter "l". It would be nice if it learned from its
mistakes, and one day it will, but it's not there yet. (You can train it
for certain fonts, but I haven't tried that yet). At the moment I find
it easy enough to run a spell-check on the result. Formatting can be a
bit of a pain because it (well, the version I have) ignores the indent
beginning paragraphs, which makes it difficult to reformat. But it is
the right price: free. And it is improving all the time, as you'd expect
with an open-source project.

Tesseract is really easy to set up with scripts. Some of the people who
use it to convert books for Project Gutenberg have made some pretty cool
scripts, but I tend to roll my own.

I'd love to one day build a mass-scanning setup like this:
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-High-Speed-Book-Scanner-from-Trash-and-Cheap-C/?ALLSTEPS

This one is probably beyond me, but would be lovely to have:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/13/3639016/google-books-scanner-vacuum-diy

Cheers,

	- Miriam