[Techtalk] still fedup after fedora upgrade

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 06:22:40 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 5:37 PM, Meryll Larkin <mll at alwanza.com> wrote:

> Thanks to both Wim and A. Mani for responding.
>
> I just issued the
>  grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
> command again, see below
> Maybe now I'll find something in the logs because I am now in a worse
> place.
> There were 2 choices in the first menu
>    Fedora
>    Advanced Options...
> So of course I let it auto-accept Fedora  which booted all the way to :
>
>     Welcome to rescue mode!  Type "systemctl default" or ^D to enter into
> default mode.
>     Type  "journalctl  -xb" to view system logs.  Type "systemctl reboot"
> reboot.
>     Failed to issue method call:  Operation refused, unit basic.target may
> be requested by dependency only.

Would this blog post be of help to you?
http://www.rkrishardy.com/2013/06/fedora-boot-fails-with-unit-basic-target-may-be-requested-by-dependency-only/

He claims the fedora upgrade left old kernel image files behind
in /boot/vmlinuz-fedup and /boot/initramfs-fedup.img. It sounds consistent
with your problem when nothing wants to boot. Before you remove (or move)
those, make sure you actually have another kernel installed! (check
/boot/vmlinuz*). It sounds consistent with your problem anyway, although
don't really see how the upgrade could get it so wrong. (if your keyboard
doesn't work, you'll obviously have to do this from the live CD of course)

Wim