[Techtalk] Gimp tutorials

Maria McKinley mariak at mariakathryn.net
Fri Oct 18 04:05:41 UTC 2013

A. Mani writes:

> There is also another argument against pdf that has nothing to do
> with technology: Adobe has become (perhaps always was) a nasty
> corporation. It is not healthy to society or the market to help such
> companies to greater strength.

Adobe may be an evil company (haven't been keeping up on my evil company
list), but the pdf format was officially released as an open
standard<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_standard> on
July 1, 2008, and published by the International Organization for
Standardization<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Organization_for_Standardization>
as
ISO 32000-1:2008. This is why I am able to read and create PDFs on my
computer without using any Adobe software.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM, Akkana Peck <akkana at shallowsky.com> wrote:

> HTML is a good alternative. EVERYBODY has an HTML viewer. But it
> does have one big problem: there's no way to give someone a single
> HTML file that includes linked files and embedded images.  You have
> to resort to a zip or a tarball, and then browsers and similar HTML
> viewers can't show it.

The other problem with html is it just isn't that easy to write. I can take
a document that I write in pretty much any editor, and pretty easily
convert it to pdf, but there is no easy way to take that same document and
convert it to html.

Adobe may be an evil company, but the pdf format was officially released as
an open standard <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_standard> on July 1,
2008, and published by the International Organization for
Standardization<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Organization_for_Standardization>
as
ISO 32000-1:2008. This is why I am able to read and create pdfs on my
computer without using any Adobe software.

~maria