[Techtalk] Gimp tutorials

A. Mani a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 18:02:11 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Miriam English <mim at miriam-english.org> wrote:
> Nooooo! PDF is a terrible format -- useful only for viewing on dead-trees.
> I've always found the name to be almost Orwellian: the format is the
> opposite of portable, in that it can't easily be converted back out of pdf
> again. Even worse, the bloated viewer demands you have a relatively powerful
> machine and lots of RAM, commonly crashing older machines. In this, the
> electronic age, I don't understand why so many people still want to print
> stuff on paper.

The problem with new users is that they may not have a djvu viewer
(I don't expect anybody to print).

There are images in each of the tutorials.
So the default strategy should be to avoid leaving the interpretation
part to the users machine.

The pdf specs does say something about versions suitable for viewing only.
The main advantage would be the quality of viewable/printable version.
djvu would be the best alternative ... others may not have viewers.

ps/eps would be definitely better and heavier (though not suitable for
viewing only).

> I use wget to grab copies of what I want to archive and browse offline. I
> use a small wrapper script which I call dlsite. This is the heart of it (it
> should all be on one line, of course):

Thanks, even I use wget on plenty of sites.
In fact I have a copy of the site.

infinite recursion depth :)
-p will ensure that login, password ... and such will all be in the
rendered html.

There are things like http://code.google.com/p/wkhtmltopdf/

I noticed a few issues with firefox :

printing of part of a page as pdf or djvu is not possible
(with any reasonable plugins as well)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/nuke-anything-enhanced/
permits a weird workaround

>Best wishes, and hope you can break the paper habit :)

I don't print everything on paper :)

Best

A. Mani

A. Mani