[Techtalk] simple date question

Peggy Russell prusselltechgroup at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 17:36:47 UTC 2013

> I was under the impression that installing a distro to a USB stick
> was a different thing from having a live USB stick with persistence.
> With a live distro, even with persistence, as far as I know you're
> always booting from that original ISO you downloaded, and then
> there's an overlay on top that remembers changes you've made to
> that filesystem. Am I wrong about that?

There is the live distro and they can optionally have persistence.
Media is users choice. These days there are generic installers and
distros/communities often have their own tools. It's up to the
creator how they support persistence. But a full install on a fob
can be done, but its my guess most refer to live when talking USB
because of the smaller footprint and as you mentioned overlay FS.
I mostly use Knoppix live for disaster recovery.

I spotted this at ubuntu:
This link mentions GUI and cmdline option for changing time zone:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuTime

Peggy Russell