[Techtalk] Basic connection questions - Wired works now, at least

mgmonza at ukato.freeshell.org mgmonza at ukato.freeshell.org
Thu May 30 02:57:41 UTC 2013

On Wed, 29 May 2013, Wim De Smet wrote:

> At boot, ifup should be run, so that would start the original dhclient
> process that's trying to get an IP onto the interface. I don't know why
> it wouldn't be getting an IP this way, normally dhclient works even if
> NM is managing the interface. Do you have any sort of firewalling
> configured?

As the subj. line says, the wired connection works at boot up, -if- I
haven't monkeyed with NM at all, just left all of it on.  (No firewalling,
so that wasn't it).  I think it was taking NM down and back up that
confused dhclient

> I am thinking it might have something to do with the dhcp server since
> I've spent far too much time trying to debug DHCP issues only to have
> the problem go away on rebooting or resetting whatever was supposed to
> function as a DHCP server.

The sypmtoms all point to this. Now on to getting wpa-supplicant under my
total control!  The scripts Akaana provided will help there, I think.