[Techtalk] Basic connection questions

mgmonza at sdf.lonestar.org mgmonza at sdf.lonestar.org
Tue May 28 03:07:40 UTC 2013

On Mon, 27 May 2013, Akkana Peck wrote:

> Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 12:33:00 -0700
> From: Akkana Peck <akkana at shallowsky.com>
> To: techtalk at linuxchix.org
> Subject: Re: [Techtalk] Basic connection questions
>
> Maria McKinley writes:
>> When NM first came out, I had some luck with uninstalling it and using
>> /etc/network/interfaces, but lately this hasn't worked, except on netbooted
>> machines. I'm not sure why exactly, but seems the powers that be really
>> want you to use NM. :/
>
> I've seen this too. On the last few Ubuntus (starting around Oneiric
> maybe?), /etc/network/interfaces started being really flaky, and you
> can't run service networking restart and expect it to do anything at
> all. But sometimes it does work. I haven't figured out why it works
> sometimes and not other times.

For me, in my admittedly outdated version of Ubuntu, NM has worked well.
The flakiness of NM in later versions gives me one more excuse not to
upgrade - I've also heard a lot about versions from Onerous
onward forcing more and more Windows-esque behavior on the user.  Can't
cite specific examples, just that I've been leaning towards Arch linux
rather than upgrading Ubuntu, when I have the resources to do it safely.

> FWIW, on Ubuntu Pangolin, I added this line to /etc/rc.local:
>
> sh /etc/init.d/networking stop; sh /etc/init.d/networking start
>
> and that succeeded in starting whatever the current network was
> in /etc/network/interfaces at boot time ... along with a warning
> about "service" being the right way to do this now, but I found
> "service networking start" didn't work as reliably.

This is a good thing to know if I kill NM again and can't bring it back.
In it's original form, on Jaunty, though, it's always come right up.

MG