[Techtalk] Basic connection questions

Alison Chaiken alchaiken at gmail.com
Mon May 27 22:42:13 UTC 2013

Disclaimer: I've only used Ubuntu briefly, on embedded hardware or in
a VM, and I haven't used the latest releases at all.

Having said that, I recall that trying to configure WiFi SSIDs via NM
failed for me because a regular user account did not have sufficient
authority.   I learned this fact by reading forums, as the system
error messages were uninformative. "sudo" was not a solution: only UID
0 root could configure WiFi on the system I used.    Even worse, a
default Ubuntu install had no root account.

Solution:
1. change some system settings via "sudo" that enabled root login.
2. login as root (yes I know perfectly well that users should try to
avoid logging in as root).
3. Run NM as root and configure network.    Make sure it comes up.
4. logout, and confirm that your user account can now bring up the network.
5. if desired, disable root account.

To me, the whole exercise showed that NM is actually harder to use
than stock Debian, but that's a rant for another day.

Good luck,
Alison

--
Alison Chaiken
(650) 279-5600  (cell)                       {she-devel.com,