[Techtalk] Basic connection questions

mgmonza at sdf.lonestar.org mgmonza at sdf.lonestar.org
Mon May 27 06:07:33 UTC 2013

I know this isn't a really good place to ask this, but this time sponge
has gotten out of hand.

I know I shouldn't be using Windows-lite aka Ubuntu, but I haven't the $$
to spend on an upgraded laptop and Ubuntu is what's on this one.

On all my Debian desktops, I hacked, slashed and configured my way through
getting inernet connections working using /etc/network/interfaces, mainly,
plus a variety of utilities depending on the connection device.  All I did
thereafter was ifup, ifdown, and ifconfig.

Now with nm-applet, aka networking-manager, none of this works.  I gave in
to the point of only asking that I be allowed to bring up the wired
connection myself, eth0, and even that works only randomly and usually not
at all.

I've put the eth0 stanza in the interfaces file, and the network manager
ignores it as requested but eth0 still won't connect to anything. I get
the infuriating repetetive dhcpdiscover then sleep, with no other
diagnostics, and no connection.  Then an untterly random connection -will-
happen, work for a time, then drop.  I'd do without network manager
altogether if wpa-supplicant didn't add a whole other layer of incoherent
complexity.  I live in a too low a rent and too prone to hacking area to
risk wep.

I'm putting this question out on this list because I hate the
Windowsesques, Simon Says, do this random illogical sequence of events and
it -might- work nature of this problem.  Does anyone know or can anyone
point me to an explanation of what's going on?

MG