[Techtalk] Basic Connection Question- Solved!

mgmonza at sdf.lonestar.org mgmonza at sdf.lonestar.org
Sun Jun 16 00:04:16 UTC 2013

Hey, all,

Just wanted to post the solution to my wrestling with the interfaces file
on a Ubuntu system with networking manager installed.

It turns out that wpa-psk stuff -can- be set in /etc/network/interfaces.
My first attempts didn't include enough information for wlan0.

This is the interface file that works now:

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

# auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-scan-ssid 1
    wpa-ap-scan 1
    wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
    wpa-proto RSN WPA
    wpa-pairwise CCMP TKIP
    wpa-group CCMP TKIP
    wpa-ssid my-hidden-ssid-no-quotes
    wpa-psk my-encrypted-password-output-from-wpa_passphrase-no-quotes

iface default inet dhcp

I'll be spending a few hours duckduckgo'ing the parts of this I don't
understand, like the scan and proto lines, but for now I can ifup, ifdown
and ifconfig from bootup to sundown, all day long and it works!

The code was from a referral from adafruit to this page - I found it quite
by accident while wistfully browsing raspberry-pi sites:

http://www.dafinga.net/2013/01/how-to-setup-raspberry-pi-with-hidden.html

Thanks for all of the responses - they got me to the point of seeing
immediately what would probably work.

(understanging Akkanna's code is still the ultimate goal, though.  When I
can get a bulletproof backup or else a disposable linux box, and am not so
scared of breaking something beyond repair, I'll give it a go)

MG
The Retro Geek