[Techtalk] Server Boot Loader

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Tue Jan 29 20:32:14 UTC 2013

On 01/29/2013 01:32 PM, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> Chris Wilson schreef op di 29-01-2013 om 11:06 [+0000]:
>> Hi Billie,
>>
>> On Sun, 27 Jan 2013, Billie Walsh wrote:
>>
>>> Sometime back I was given an old boat anchor server. Nothing fancy
>>> but............. Can't complain about the price. I decided to see about
>>> putting it into service here at home. Maybe host my personal web age on it or
>>> something. I know virtually nothing about running a server so it's a learning
>>> experience for me. Stretch my horizons a bit.
>>>
>>> It;s an Intel pentium with a hardware RAID array. Right now four disks as one
>>> disk. It's running Xubuntu right now but my problem is getting Grub or Lilo
>>> to install on the raid array.
>> I'm afraid if you don't tell us *what* the problem is, we can't hope to
>> provide any solutions.
>>
>> http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro
>>
>> Cheers, Chris.
> Hi Billie,
>
> Can you tell us the make/model of the server? As it has HW RAID, it
> likely is a specific HW, and having the manufacturer and model will help
> us
>
> Cheers,
>

> Rudy

The name on the case says Nobilis. It's an Intel mother board with a
Pentium III (Coppermine) processor. There's a slot for a second
processor. Mylex Corporation DAC960RP (rev. 5) RAID bus controller.
Adaptec AIC-7896U2/7897U2 Storage controller. [ Lists that twice so a
second controller???] Cirrus Logic video and C-Media audio. It has a
front pluggable six disk SCSI rack with a pretty substantial circuit
board and two fans. Colorado Tape drive and floppy drive. That's about
all I can  really tell you about it.

--

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.”
-Albert Einstein