[Techtalk] Server Boot Loader

Chris Wilson chris+linuxchix at aptivate.org
Tue Jan 29 15:12:00 UTC 2013

Hi Billie,

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013, Billie Walsh wrote:

> I installed Xubuntu and everything seemed to go well right up to the point
> where the system reboots into the installed OS. It just sits there like a
> lump with a flashing cursor.
>
> In order to try to answer any questions I booted the machine up. In the Super
> Grub screen I saw a "Detect Grub 2 Configurations". I chose that instead of
> detecting OS's. It came up with a choice that booted the OS. SO, maybe what
> we thought was a failure to install is instead a failure to install in the
> right place or a failure to find during the boot process.
>
> I did notice during the RAID start up sequence a note about two system drives
> installed.  Not sure what is going on with that. Maybe when I set the drives
> up to act as one drive I missed something. [ a real possibility - I was
> flying blind beyond my expertise ] Maybe I need to back up and do more
> research into the setup.
>
> The RAID reports it's a Mylex /DAC960/ with Adaptec "drivers" (?) circa 1999.

If it's a fakeraid then Linux may well be bypassing its RAID mode and
treating the drives as individual ones. Which may mean that you've
installed GRUB on the "wrong" drive.

Please can you tell us the output of these commands:

cat /proc/partitions
cat /proc/mdstat

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 967 838
Future Business, Cam City FC, Milton Rd, Cambridge, CB4 1UY, UK

with company number 04980791.