[Techtalk] partitioning under linux

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Sun Feb 3 21:27:42 UTC 2013

I've had an easy time of manipulating lots of drive partitions with
gparted. It is easy and intuitive.

A word of warning: back everything up. I've never lost anything with
gparted, but when fiddling with partitions the risk is always there.

I know you didn't specifically say you wanted to resize a Windows
partition, but if at any point you decide to then do defragment it first
and be aware that XP and Windows7 seem to stick some system stuff in the
middle of the disk address space which risks getting clobbered. Be
conservative in your Windows changes.

Using gparted to resize, move, delete, create Linux partitions, swap
partitions, and any of several other format partitions is very simple
and easy.

Note that if you want to use solid-state flash-memory drives (such as SD
cards, thumbdrives, etc) then be aware that you need to be careful of
several quirks of that hardware so that whatever partitioning and
formating program you use doesn't radically shorten the drive's life.

Best wishes,

	- Miriam