[Techtalk] Accessing a web page on my server

chris chris.madrone at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 19:16:06 UTC 2013

I just tested this out on my Ubuntu 12.04 (it should translate to your xubuntu install?) and it worked well. Hpe it helps!

1. enable the userdir module:

sudo a2enmod userdir

2. edit /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/userdir.conf file (if needed - mine had this in it by default):
<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
        UserDir public_html
        UserDir disabled root

        <Directory /home/*/public_html>
                AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit Indexes
                Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
                <Limit GET POST OPTIONS>
                        Order allow,deny
                        Allow from all
                </Limit>
                <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS>
                        Order deny,allow
                        Deny from all
                </LimitExcept>
        </Directory>
</IfModule>

3. edit /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/php5.conf
comment out the following:
#    <IfModule mod_userdir.c>
#        <Directory /home/*/public_html>
#            php_admin_value engine Off
#        </Directory>
#    </IfModule>
#</IfModule>

4. restart apache
sudo service apache2 restart

5. create your public directory and a test file
mkdir ~/public_html
vi index.html

6. test in your browser at http://www.yourdomain.com/~youruserdirectory/

cheers