[Techtalk] Accessing a web page on my server

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sun Feb 3 06:34:39 UTC 2013

Billie Walsh writes:
> I opened each configuration file in /etc/apache2 and all the
> directories under that using a text editor without root privileges
> to read them. That way I can't mess up something by accident. The
> line is not in any of them.

I missed the beginning and am not sure which Ubuntu you're on, but
on my Ubuntu Pangolin system,

grep -r -i userdir /etc/apache2/

returns a bunch of lines in /etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.conf
(as well as a few in mods-available/php5.conf). So enabling
userdir.conf -- with
  ln -s ../mods-available/userdir.comf /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/

dpkg -S /etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.conf
says the file is part of apache2.2-common, not some extra package,
so if you have apache installed you probably have it.

Googling turned up this page which has more detail on how to
customize the file if it doesn't already do what you want:
http://www.techytalk.info/enable-userdir-apache-module-ubuntu-debian-based-linux-distributions/

> I did a "gksudo grep UserDir /* " thinking that might search the
> entire drive. Didn't return anything.

That will only search files directly in /. It won't search
subdirectories unless you add a -r (recursive), as in my
example above. (And with -r you don't need /*, just / since
it will search everything underneath that.) But /etc/apache2
should be the only place you need to look.

	...Akkana