[Techtalk] implementing HTTPS-only sitewide

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 07:31:02 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Maria McKinley <maria at shadlen.org> wrote:
> This is approximately what I was going to say. For some reason the
> RewriteCon and Rewrite rule are often in .htaccess, but I've never
> understood why.

I think it's most likely just because guides and howto's are often
written from the perspective of someone using some sort of shared
hosting. Arguably it's also a logical place, since you can bundle all
your rules there and rewriting rules tend to change every now and
then. It also has some advantages if you ever want to move your site
to a different server. The more self-contained it is, the easier this
exercise becomes.

regards,
Wim