[Techtalk] cPanel tangent

Cynthia Kiser cnk at ugcs.caltech.edu
Fri Nov 16 19:25:32 UTC 2012

Quoting Tracey <tclark77 at tlcnet.info>:
> I work for cPanel, in the automated test writing & QA dept. Your
> comments caught my attention. While I am, admittedly, biased due to
> being a cP employee, I am not blinded to shortfalls in the software.
>
> To clarify, cPanel is not "an application". It is complex software
> that includes a web front end as well as many scripts and rpms which
> integrate with Apache, mySQL, PHP and other server software. While
> the cPanel software itself has not been 100% immune from being
> hacked, usually it's an outdated or otherwise insecure PHP script
> that is responsible for a website getting hacked.

That sounds like a very interesting job. What aspects of cPanel do you
test and what tools do you use to do the testing? I am pretty familiar
with web testing tools - especially Selenium and those in the Rails
ecosystem like cucumber - but the idea of testing setup scripts is
kind of intriguing. There is some interest in this in the devops
community but I don't know a lot about what the state of the art
is. Care to enlighten me?

--
Cynthia N. Kiser
cnk at ugcs.caltech.edu