[Techtalk] Shared library dependencies - Debian

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Thu Nov 8 21:11:30 UTC 2012

Hi Terry,

I'm not really knowledgeable here, so someone else might answer with
better info, but it looks like your copy of the library file
"libmysqlclient.so.18.0.0" has been compiled without version information
in it (whatever that means). I was plagued by similar annoying error
messages from programs loading a png library a while back and fixed it
by recompiling the png library from source myself.

The debian package pages always give links to the source code along with
the binary installs. I have no idea why some libs might contain version
info and others not... perhaps it gets erroneously stripped out along
with debugging code? I hope someone else can help more.

Cheers,

	- Miriam

--
If you don't have any failures then you're not trying hard enough.
  - Dr. Charles Elachi, director of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory