[Techtalk] scientific linux

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.org
Sat Mar 24 22:30:30 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 09:46:39PM -0400, Jennifer wrote:
> I am doing some soul searching after using Ubuntu for a few years so I'm
> looking around at other distros. Unity and Gnome 3 broke my brain.

Yeah, I abandoned the Ubuntu ship when they removed a few of my
essential programs like workrave.

I'm currently using ArchBang, which is basically Arch with a different
installer. The advantages of Arch are
(a) large number of packages
(b) hybrid binary/source system; the official repo is binary, but the
AUR (Arch User Repository) is source-based.
(c) rolling-release system
(d) good documentation on the distro wiki and forums

Disadvantages:
(a) Packages from the AUR are often not well-maintained; use with
caution.
(b) The community is less newbie-friendly than Ubuntu.
(c) rolling-release system can mean things break (though not as badly as
they break with Gentoo).

K.A.
--
 _--_|\     | Kathryn Andersen	<http://www.katspace.org>