[Techtalk] Sound card gone missing - OSS/ALSA woes

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 02:43:45 UTC 2012

Hey there,

Rudy Zijlstra wrote:

> one of the things i once discussed with a professor, is that the
> incentives on university study are least partially wrong. All
> research you see published is about the good results found. My
> feeling is that all the research that "went nowhere" is just as
> important. I wish someone would have the guts to write about that,
> and all the things they tried and saw which did  not lead to what
> they were looking for.

I agree that this would be a definite improvement over just teaching
successful approaches. I'd like to add the wish that they would first
turn the students loose on the experimentation without giving them
any information either way just to see what they come up with on
their own before being influenced by success or failure stories.

I've often wondered if half of what holds our societies back is our
own perception that the "knowledge" we believe we're imparting to
others is actually a handicap for them - especially if they believe
it's all they need to know.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.