[Techtalk] Sound card gone missing - OSS/ALSA woes

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 19:16:52 UTC 2012

Hey there,

Miriam English wrote:
> Little Girl wrote:

> > When I got my first computer a relative of mine said that I
> > shouldn't be fearful of it, but just go ahead and mess around
> > with it. He told me that everybody messes up their computers
> > eventually, that he fully expected to be called to repair the
> > damage from time to time, and that messing things up is actually
> > a good thing because it's a learning process. He was right. I've
> > learned a lot through my screw-ups over the years. (:

> I couldn't agree more. Today we have a growing cultural prejudice
> against making mistakes, but in truth is one of our most important
> ways of learning.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I wonder if this sort of thing
is partially to blame for there being fewer women than men in the
computing industry.

> I often tell friends who are impressed with the amount I know on
> various computery things that it is largely the result of having
> made more mistakes than most people. Heaven knows how many times
> I've totally screwed up my computers. See also the quote in my sig
> below.

Same here! I think you also tend to remember very clearly the more
extreme mistakes (like the ones that wiped out precious irretrievable
content) and never *ever* repeat them. Also, some of the mistakes
make great stories when you're having one of those geekly gatherings
where everyone says, "Oh yeah? You'll never believe what I

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.