[Techtalk] more cores, more slows

Rudy Zijlstra rudy at grumpydevil.homelinux.org
Tue Jun 19 21:42:20 UTC 2012

Hi Carla

Carla Schroder schreef op di 19-06-2012 om 10:44 [-0700]:
> hiho,
>
> It seems the more powerful hardware gets, the more software sucks it up, so it
> still feels like driving an old 486 SX. My main PC has an AMD Phenom 8750
> triple-core processor with 4GB RAM, and a discrete Nvidia graphics card
> running the Nvidia driver. I use this machine for video, audio, and photo
> editing.  I thought that with three cores there would be less lag on all of
> these CPU-intensive tasks, and it is better than the old cheapie one-core
> CPUs, but I'm still feeling like it should be better.
>
> The biggest offender is Web pages. Facebook is nasty, of course, with all of
> its squillion random scripts coded by gerbils on crack, and lots of other. Is
> it worth upgrading to Intel? Or a higher-end AMD? Am I forever doomed to be
> disappointed?

I am happy that FireFox and Chrome are essentially single threaded, so
they typically use only a single CPU. I have a tendency to just leave
them open, and after some days both typically crash on me. I am still
not certain which of the two is worse...

At least firefox will restore sessions pretty good. Chrome is just plain
awful at that.

But yes, web browsing and speed are two different things.

Cheers,

Rudy