[Techtalk] more cores, more slows

Eeva Järvinen ejarvinen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 18:08:05 UTC 2012

Facecrack is slow as molasses, no matter what you run it on. It's slow
on my phone, it's slow on my laptop. Which happens to have four cores;
i7. You'd think it'd be fast - and it is. Running softsynths? No prob.
Sequencing at the same time, LADSPA effects, the lot? In real time,
with jackd? Sure. It just doesn't apply to web browsing. I think this
is due more to bad javascript than to anything else, plus inevitable
i/o lagging. I think we're all doomed to be disappointed; no matter
how much processor power we throw at the web, it swallows it all,
burps and then cries for more. Oh, and my home cnx is 110Mbps, so it's
probably not that, either. You'd think you could get a few MBs worth
of webpage in less than a second. That's what you'd think.

Eeva