[Techtalk] DNS question

Terry tech at futurecourse.com
Mon Jun 18 07:12:33 UTC 2012

Hi Tracey,

On 13/06/2012 10:21, Tracey wrote:
> Hi Terry,
>
> I work for cPanel in QA, so I'm very familiar with the software, and
> DNS. I'm happy to lend some advice. If you have other questions, or if I
> can clarify anything, feel free to ask. DNS can seem tricky at first,
> but really it's pretty simple once you know the basic rules. I've put in
> some links to explain the basic rules further down in this message.

Thanks for the links and all the information. I've got it all set up
now.  I ran the domain name through a couple of dns checker sites and it
passed.  I've also created my SPF and DKIM records and those have
passed.  Yay!

> The way your former hosting company set up your account is kind of
> backwards. Usually you want your top level domain (example.com) as your
> cPanel main domain, and then other things like mail www and whatnot are
> created as CNAME entries in DNS pointing at your main domain.

They did a lot of things backwards. :)

<great explanation snipped>

> I recommend reading this article, it will show you the full and correct
> format of each kind of record. It will also help you understand how the
> DNS records go together. It explains the basic concepts you need to
> know, without going into the more arcane details. It will hopefully
> clarify why I've recommended this kind of setup.
>
> http://corpocrat.com/2009/10/01/troubleshooting-common-dns-misconfiguration-errors/
>

> This is a bit more in depth but also recommended.
> http://rscott.org/dns/
>
> Also, here's a link to a presentation I did last year on the basics of DNS:
> http://www.cpanel.net/videos/dns-demystified/
>
> I have the slides from it on PDF if you'd rather have that format. (This
> is legit in my company's rules). If you'd like a copy, mail me off list
> and I'll send it to you.

All really good stuff.  Thanks so much for your time.

--
Terry