[Techtalk] VHS to DVD

Anthony de Boer adb at adb.ca
Mon Jul 23 20:28:47 UTC 2012

David Sumbler wrote:
> If I enter 'cat /dev/video0' I get a continuous stream of gibberish,
> which is what I would expect.  But I can't get VLC to display anything
> at all.

That continuous stream might be one of encoded video, if it's anything
like the capture card I used.

Type 'cat /dev/video0 > mycapture.mpg', feed some video into the card,
and then ^C it.  At this point running something like mplayer on the
file should show you video.

Usually next I'd run avidemux to chop the static off the front and back
of the recording and dub into the codec of choice for storage and later
playback.

--
Anthony de Boer