[Techtalk] what is bricking?

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 01:43:16 UTC 2012

Hey there,

Magni Onsoien wrote:

> I used to work at a university several years ago, and we had
> computer labs with desktop PCs. We had about 150 PCs bought the
> same summer, and after 12 months the capcitors on the motherboards
> started popping. This mostly lead to random failures and errors,
> before the PC finally wouldn't boot, with "error 7".

This seems to be a common event, considering at least three of us
have reported it in this thread alone. I wish I'd been there to hear
our monitor give up the ghost years ago. My boys said the screen went
black, they heard, "AH! AH! PUHHHH!" and black smoke went up. They
unplugged it, and when I got home I opened it up. There was a large
black scorch mark on the inside of the monitor casing, but the
innards looked pristine. You could have convinced me I was looking at
brand new hardware in there. I'll never understand it. (:

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.