[Techtalk] what is bricking?

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Jan 23 23:33:50 UTC 2012

> Hey there,
>
> Billie Walsh wrote:
> > "Magic Smoke" is what makes all electronics work. The magic smoke
> > circulates through the circuits so the device works. When you let
> > the Magic Smoke out it stops functioning. This is accompanied by an
> > acrid smell and usually, but not always, visible smoke escaping
> > from the device.
>
> ...and a loud popping noise. (:

I had some capacitors fail on a video card once upon a time. I heard these
mysterious small booms from time to time but had no idea what they were. The
card didn't fail until the fourth capacitor croaked. Piccies here:

'Linux Works Even When Your PC is Committing Suicide '
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6728/2

Carla