[Techtalk] detecting busybox

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Tue Jan 10 02:44:39 UTC 2012

Miriam English writes:
> I love the whole "small is beautiful" idea, but I've grown to really
> dislike busybox. It has caused countless problems for me in writing
> scripts, usually because busybox sacrifices functionality for size,
> and very often I just need that extra bit of capability. I'll be

Agreed. It can be fairly annoying.

> Does anybody know a way to find all the commands on my system that
> use busybox instead of the full command?

Assuming most of the commands you use are in /usr/bin:
ls -l /usr/bin | grep busybox

Or if you want everything in your path, not just what's in /usr/bin:

for p in $(echo $PATH | sed 's/:/ /g') ; do
ls -l $p | grep busybox
done

A full-fledged Linux desktop/laptop shouldn't use busybox for anything.
Normally busybox is for tiny embedded systems that don't have enough
disk space to store the usual set of real programs.

	...Akkana