[Techtalk] file creation date

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Sat Apr 7 22:21:37 UTC 2012

Huh. I never thought of versioning software. What an interesting idea.
Thank you Veronica. I'll look into that.

I need it for writing and drawing mostly. It isn't so important for
programming because for some reason I almost never forget to add the
date in a commented header near the top of my source code. I seem to go
into a different mind-set when writing or drawing or even just noting
down ideas, and I nearly always forget to add the date. Adding the date
should be easy in text or HTML (my preferred for styled text), even jpeg
or png images are easy to add tags to. But it would be lovely if the
computer simply added the dates to everything by itself without me
needing to think like a computer.

Versioning software adds a whole extra dimension. I don't know why I
never thought of it. It seems like the logical thing to do, as I often
work on a few versions of text files at once, selecting bits from two to
combine into a third.

Cheers,

	- Miriam