[Techtalk] bouncing e-mails

agoats at compuserve.com agoats at compuserve.com
Sun Sep 18 23:41:54 UTC 2011

All,

First, I offer no ill will and generally pass off any blowing off of steam.

Next, some further information to go with my previous post:

My outgoing mail is through a different ISP, who has on occasion blocked
my e-mails out to the DFWUUG as possible spam (recruiters posting
incorrectly; however, I was sending too many e-mails at a time to one
location, which tagged their spam filters). I have e-mails from my ISP
and my request to them to not block my e-mails to the DFWUUG and their
input on how I was tagged. This was a special effort for a specific
case. If this can happen to me, it can happen to anyone else with any
ISP or mail service.

My incoming mail to CompuServe is my original e-mail account for nearly
30 years. So many tech magazines, info and personal mail are tied to
that address that I don't want to change it. It predates the internet as
we know it. Even though it is now governed by AOL, my original pop mail
service to compuserve.com is preserved; it is not aol.com or csi.com,
but compuserve.com.

CompuServe's system, as well as Verizon, Yahoo, Excite, GMail and
others, do filtering of e-mails for possible spam to reduce bandwidth.
As such, Michelle's original post did not make it to me; my first
indication was Carla's reply.  I had to go through the web and access my
account at CompuServe to free up her e-mail from their spam trap.
Likewise, at the same time, I had to free up newsletters from TechWeb,
InformationWeek, Network Computing and a technical white paper link from
Intel, all caught by my ISP's spam filters to reduce bandwith issues. 22
legitimate e-mails out of 80 trapped by CompuServe. This happens to
everyone, so if you're missing an important e-mail, check if your ISP is
filtering before you.

As for e-mail addresses, I have about 7 e-mail addresses through
different mail services. I use Thunderbird to collect all of my e-mails
and put them in the proper locations on my local machine. The other
addresses are for specific purposes or as a member of that group or
organization.

My colleague with the business mailing issue is having problems with
other sites capturing, delaying or blocking his business notices. He's
on ATT and AOL is the major one doing the blocking, but there are others
besides AOL, including Yahoo and GMail.

For information about what's happening on the NET, check your localized
CERT (Computer Emergency Response Team). http://www.cert.org/ ,  USA is
http://www.us-cert.gov/ ,  FRANCE  http://www.cert-ist.com/ ,

http://www.internationalcybercenter.org/certicc/certworld  has the links
to most countries around the world including Australia, Canada, Germany,
Russia, China and more.

As for the bounces I get as the MailMan administrator for DFWUUG,  I
have a phish originating from Yahoo.com pretending to be the FBI, I have
Russian spam spoofing US e-mails and originating from Russia, I have
some Russian spam originating from China, I have UPS and FedEx phish's
coming from different parts of the globe. Most of the spam and phish
e-mail address lists are probably coming from those companies or sites
who have had their user information stolen, like Sony. All that personal
info and e-mail addresses, how many millions is that? This causes a lot
of bandwidth interference and is a major nuisance for any administrator.
I get upwards of 250 content filtered block notices and various bounces
per day and have to find the legit messages to move on. This is not fun.

Alvin