[Techtalk] Suggestions on setting new server up

Terry Roy tech at futurecourse.com
Sun Oct 9 20:04:59 UTC 2011

On 13/09/2011 14:36, Carla Schroder wrote:
> Hi Terry,
>
> Overall your plan looks good. Sticking with software you're already
> familiar with is wise, because in all of these categories there are
> multiple good choices. So the main difference is not any particular
> feature, but how well you know them.
>
> I would definitely go with Debian. CentOS is nice, but in the past
> couple years they've experienced a lot of problems with getting
> releases out on time. That is a red flag that signals possible other
> problems, like timely patches and updates. Debian is wicked good. No
> matter what distros I have flings with, I always return home to
> Debian :)
>
> best,
> Carla

Thanks for the responses.  Got a little behind on my e-mail due to life
getting in the way.

I've got Debian up and running, my firewall configured and am getting
ready to start on the mail system.  Debian's' great.  I thought I would
have a huge learning curve but I seem to have picked up on it rather
quickly.  Going to try to get the mail up and running now.  I've again
overloaded myself reading howtos, tutorials, etc, and haven't been able
to find the answers to all my questions yet so I may be back!

Thanks again.

Terry