[Techtalk] Dolphin sort order

John Clarke johnc+linuxchix at kirriwa.net
Wed Nov 30 10:29:31 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 10:51:29AM +0100, Wim De Smet wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 9:26 AM, Little Girl <littlergirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I would really like to have all the same letters together, like this:
> > [...]
>
> I don't use Dolphin, but in the terminal and in nautilus sort order is
> governed by the current active locale. It's usually the way you

On my Ubuntu 10.04 system, ls and nautilus sort differently, even with the
same setting for LC_COLLATE (or LANG if LC_COLLATE isn't set).  The
difference is in how they handle hidden files and directories. With
LC_COLLATE set to "C", ls puts hidden files first (strict ASCII sort order)
and nautilus puts them last, but otherwise sorts in ASCII order.

With LC_COLLATE set to en_AU.UTF-8, ls ignores case and the leading "." on
hidden files & directories when sorting.  I don't know what nautilus does
(I'd have to logout and probably reboot to change LC_COLLATE to find out,
and I don't want to do that).

You can set LANG and LC_COLLATE in /etc/default/locale.    By default,
Ubuntu sets only LANG in this file, but you can add LC_COLLATE if you want
to change the default sort order.  Whether Dolphin or Konqueror obey
LC_COLLATE is left as an exercise for the reader :-)

John

--
This would be the approach of either a visionary genius or a raving
lunatic, depending on your programming and management style. Probably