[Techtalk] upgrading Openfire

Naomi Hospodarsky hospodarsky at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 15:47:21 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 1:10 AM, Meryll Larkin <mll at alwanza.com> wrote:

> I've got Openfire 3.6.2 installed on a server and I want to upgrade.
>
> I'm worried about losing:
>  1.  buddy lists
>  2.  chat history
>
> Starting with later versions there is an import/export plugin with minimal
> documentation that supposedly preserves buddy lists.  Nothing definitive
> about whether or not it preserves chat history.
>
> Does anyone have any experience updating Openfire?  We're using the
> embedded
> database.
>

> tia
> Meryll Larkin

We use Openfire at uiowa, and I've upgraded it several times;  however, we
manage our buddy lists via AD Groups. We do allow clients to store whatever
info they wish to on the server via whatever their client allows.

That said, I've never had trouble upgrading in the past (NOTE: I have not
yet upgraded to Openfire 3.7). My usual routine is to make a tarball of the
embedded-db/  dir, and put it aside in case I need to roll-back for some
reason -- our installation is not that large, so my openfire.script is only
around 13M.

In summary, nothing terrible has ever happened during an upgrade of openfire
-- but I am always cautious when doing so; especially since the development
of Openfire has been questionable lately. The forums are pretty excellent,
though.

HTH,

Naomi