[Techtalk] good chain from exim4 and maildir to webmail and mutt?

Monique Y. Mudama monique at bounceswoosh.org
Sat Jan 29 17:52:23 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 29 at 12:03, Anthony de Boer penned:

> Exim is still current, so no reason to migrate away from it,
> especially if you have an existing configuration to use as a
> starting point.
>
> I'm using it on a Gentoo system, so the minor issues I ran into will
> be a bit different than whatever you'll see on Debian.
>
> I'm using courier IMAP, and it works fine.  I'm not set up for
> webmail, though, so I can't help you with that.
>
> Mutt still works fine, too, and is happy with maildirs.  Having both
> mutt and courier hitting the same maildirs hasn't caused any
> disasters either, even jumping back and forth between them (for the
> occasional message that needs looking at in a GUI client, for
> example).
>
> Have fun!

Thanks!  I appreciate the feedback that mutt and IMAP can co-exist
amicably.  You're describing my exact use case - I adore mutt, but
reading certain HTML-formatted messages, or just looking at emails with
attachments, is much easier with a web or IMAP client.  And sometimes
I'm traveling somewhere and don't have easy access to an ssh client.
Currently, I bounce them to gmail, but I'd rather keep my mail ...
mine.

This morning, I've switched the new server to maildir and installed
dovecot and roundcube.  The Dovecot package railroaded me into
installing MySql, which is not my favorite, but I do know a lot of
configurations support it out of the box, so I guess that's okay.

Roundcube is pretty, but it looks like I can't look at messages from
my iPhone - clicking on each message doesn't work properly.  I blame
AJAX ;)  I guess I'll need to choose between installing a more basic
web UI like squirrelmail (haven't checked to see how well that fares
yet) and opening up another port to the outside world.  I don't love
opening up ports, but maybe IMAP isn't so bad ...

I'm not committed to anything yet; just playing around to see what
options I might have.

--
monique