[Techtalk] Linux mail clients?

agoats at compuserve.com agoats at compuserve.com
Sun Jan 23 23:28:06 UTC 2011

I don't know about ssh tunneling, but....

I use Thunderbird, starting eons ago with Netscape Mail under Netscape
(when was the first issue with it? That's when I started). I use the
filtering to send LinuxChix e-mails to their respective lists, magazine
subscriptions to theirs, various User Group mailings in their separate
folders. I use spam filtering which is needed as I'm also Mailman
Administrator for a local user group where HR/Head Hunters don't seem to
be able to grasp sending plain text e-mails and yet get caught with the
spam filters of Mailman, all getting bounced to me. Thunderbird splits
out the real bounces from the spam leaving me less to sort through. I
also have issues with some people/sites receive plain text only while
others get the fancy text (rtf/html), so I can set what each mail
address gets with a standard default for anything not directly set.

It uses an mbox format for storing mail, which is great. For Windoze
boxes, I found that when Microsoft mail screws up and "loses" a
significant portion of your mail, Thunderbird is able to import the
majority of the lost e-mails as long as you don't start Microsoft's
e-mail again. Saved me at work twice.

There are add-ons that I also found useful, including AE Extract which
helps me extract attachments to a directory of my choice or it's own
default directory. There are other add-ons that others may find useful
as well.

Alvin