[Techtalk] communication on own network

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Sat Jan 1 11:51:24 UTC 2011

Hello, Michelle,

Just backtracking this New Year's day on some unresolved issues. With
some determined hunting I found a package called LinPopUp which  is
described thus:

> LinPopUp is a Xwindow graphical port of Winpopup, running over Samba.
> It permits to communicate with a windows computer that runs Winpopup,
> sending or receiving message. ( It also provides an alternative way
> to communicate between Linux computers that run Samba ).

http://www.littleigloo.org/software_002.php3

Thus certainly looks as if it would do what I want - send a message to
pop up on a colleagues work station. But ...

... to date I have not been able to install this. There is no package
available for (my version of) ubuntu, and the Debian package
will not install

Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libglib1.2ldbl (>= 1.2.10-18)

Not wishing to break other things that are going well I have left
it there pending acquisition of skills and knowledge.

Just a 'heads up' post and I'll follow up if at some date I get some
success.

All the best to all of you for 2011.
Anne