[Techtalk] what does 'aol' mean?

agoats at compuserve.com agoats at compuserve.com
Fri Feb 4 04:47:54 UTC 2011

Chasing acronyms for aol, it's really going to depend on  how it was used.

Fairly high in the list at http://www.all-acronyms.com/AOL
is "Army of Lamers" which I suspect may be closer

If they're gamers, http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/AOL
has:
Adventure of Link (Legend of Zelda)
Age of Legends
Army of Light (Starwars Galaxies Guild)
Asynchronous On-Line
Acronym Over Load
Alarm on Lan

http://www.all-acronyms.com/AOL
also has:
Application Oriented Language
Alternate Opacity Limit

They all list "Absent Over Leave" *see AWOL absent with out leave

I saw 23 different acronyms for aol and one site refers to an attic for
165 definitions for aol.

I get alphabet soup a lot, like DOE  ....
Department of Energy
Department of Education
Design of Experiments
Dumb Old Engineer......