[Techtalk] My son is a network hog -- limiting usage on one computer (fedora 15)?

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Sat Dec 3 17:09:20 UTC 2011

On 12/03/2011 10:37 AM, Gwen Morse wrote:
> We have 5 people sharing the internet connection in our home. We have a
> peak/off peak plan with something like 50 or 60 gigs split between the two
> times. Changing the data plan and/or updating the configuration on the
> router are not options. My husband and I rent from my husband's parents and
> they refuse any changes of that sort. Their house, their rules. :).
>
> That said, my 19 year old son is burning through the household bandwidth
> every month watching Youtube videos, listening to podcasts, and doing
> whatever else it is he's actually doing.
>
> I do *not* want to monitor the specifics of what he's doing. He's 19 and
> can do what he likes (within legal reason). I want all of us to stop being
> throttled because one person in the house is a network pig. I've talked to
> my son repeatedly but he still keeps going over the limit.
>
> What I'd like is to know what I can use to set a nice round limit (say 1
> gig a month) and have it monitor his usage and then throttle him on his
> laptop if he goes over that limit. After a month it would reset and start
> all over again.
>
> Many/most ISPs use linux (or unix) for their servers and I was wondering
> what package I could use to do something like this?
>
> I've looked at some traffic shaping software but I'm not sure that's what I
> want. I don't want to prioritize certain traffic. I just want to (almost)
> cut him off once he goes over a predetermined limit.
>
> Gwen
> _

If it was my kid I would cut off his internet. I don't care if he is 19
or ninety. He lives at home so he has to learn to play by the house
rules. If he doesn't like it, let him get out and find his own place.
Then he makes the rules.

Can't play by the rules - tuff.

--
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain
the  people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the

- Patrick  Henry -