[Techtalk] postfix

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Fri Aug 12 21:25:38 UTC 2011

Hi there,

Thought I'd see if anyone here had a clue about this before subscribing
to the postfix mailing list. In my /etc/postfix/main.cf I have the
following configuration:

# identity
myhostname = smtp.shadlen.org
mydomain = shadlen.org
myorigin = $mydomain

But if I check postconf or use a web mail client, postfix does not
appear to be using my configuration:

ella:~# postconf -c /etc/postfix -d myorigin
myorigin = $myhostname
ella:~# postconf -c /etc/postfix -d myhostname
myhostname = ella.localdomain

Why is myorigin showing up as myhostname instead of what I have clearly
configured to be mydomain? And myhostname seems to be coming out of the
blue as well. Makes no sense! And yes, that is the only myorigin in the
config file, and I have restarted postfix to make sure it loads the
main.cf I am reading.

thanks,
maria