[Techtalk] Turning everything black

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Tue Apr 12 18:02:47 UTC 2011

Chris Frey writes:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 03:45:48PM +0100, David Sumbler wrote:
> > Can any one tell me how to do this?
>
> You probably want to use a feature like Curves in the GIMP.
>
> 	http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-curves.html
>
> Perhaps adjust the contrast and brightness first with the Brightness-
> Contrast tool.

It might help to switch to greyscale mode first, to get rid of the
blue: Image->Mode->Greyscale.

Then try Threshold if your aim is really black and white, no greys
at all. If that works, you're done; but typically you'll end up
with "jaggies" on the text (edges of the text that used to be
anti-aliased no longer are).

If Threshold doesn't work, try Brightness/Contrast. If that doesn't
work, there's a button to "View these settings as Levels", and if
you don't like Levels, you can go from there to "View these settings
as Curves." So you can combine all three tools to get as much
control as you need. Usually I find Levels is the right tool for
making black-and-white text, though I prefer Brightness/Contrast
or Curves for photos. But your preference may differ.

	...Akkana