[Techtalk] getting rid of windows on a dual boot machine

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Sat Sep 18 22:25:20 UTC 2010

Anne Wainwright wrote:

> 1  delete the Windows partition
> 2  create a new linux partition in the space freed up
> 3  install file system on new partition
> 4  edit fstab to see & mount new partition as home
> 5  move all the old data over to the new ~/ filesystem
> 6  delete the old home partition
> 7  expand the root partition to allow more system space
> 8  make the root partition bootable
> 9  edit grub so we can avoid the unneeded boot menu.

I would switch steps 4 and 5, copying all the data over before editing
fstab, unless you're doing this as root and all that is going into the
new home is user data. If root's home is going too then definitely
switch steps 4 and 5.

Good luck,

	- Miriam

--
If you don't have any failures then you're not trying hard enough.
  - Dr. Charles Elachi, director of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory