[Techtalk] Display errors

pat patday at sunbirdsystems.net
Thu Sep 2 00:34:20 UTC 2010

  On 8/29/2010 4:02 PM, Little Girl wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> David Sumbler wrote:
>
> [SNIP]
>
>>> However, this time, when I reboot, I get the following:
>
>>> Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode
>>> The following error was encountered.  You may need
>>> to update your configuration to solve this.
> [SNIP]
>
>> Further to all that, I found a work-around.  I can start a second X
>> server, which seems to be OK.
> [SNIP]
>
>> How do I get stop this first display from starting, and in any
>> case, why does it give the error messages I listed when the second
>> display doesn't seem to find any problems?
> Sorry I can't help more, but have you tried this?
>
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
>
> It's also possible it wants a driver, although I doubt it since
> you're able to get it working on a second X server. But it might be
> worth a try. (:

it seems to be xserver errors (EE) here:

(EE) PSB(0): the stolenBase is:0x3f800000
(EE) PSB(0): screnIndex is:0;fbPhys
is:9x3f800000; fbsize is:0x007bf000
(EE) [drm] drmOpen failed.
(EE) PSB(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed.
Disabling DRI.
(EE) [drm] Could not uninstall irq handler.

That stolenBase is video memory and the srenIndex is the index into that address area.

so I would look in /etc/X11/xorg.conf  or equivalent for your system

then I would look in xorg.conf for mention of drm and other settings.

(EE) [drm] drmOpen failed means it wasn't loaded by xorg.conf

but if you have 2 separate ones running...ok, so one is a child of the other process?  Must be something in run scripts starting another instance.

If I were running gpm it would be in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

(EE) PSB(0): This driver currently needs DRM to operate.

and the same I see for DRI, also from xorg.conf

the manufacturer of the lcd screen, video card gives the specifics for screen/card so you most likely have the data X needs in xorg.conf to start your X session.

Perhaps somewhere in your home directory is .xinit or other collateral file where another session is started.  Find and read them and maybe is where you find the reason for two sessions.

Or maybe it is calling a different window manager/desktop manager ?

Local init scripts in your home dir take precedence over the xinitrc in /etc/X11/xinit/
but I notice in mine that the standard clock launched in xinitrc also launched another instance from my own .xinitrc so that is another place to look. Easy enough to change.

Then again, if it is bug in ubuntu, I know not much about it.
If you are using ubuntu mobile version I know not much but my own experience with xorg if it can be related to your system.  Mine is gentoo.

Am familiar with NVidia card, every time X/xorg updates the nvidia driver needs updating too, meaning a recompile here.  Sometimes that can wipe a previous init script so I back all mine up with a date.  Then fiddle to heart's content.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log will have much to report about how xorg.conf does its duty, and clues.

PSB (0) is from the driver reporting its problems through Xorg.0.log.
You may need to get the psb driver from Ubuntu Mobile repositories if that is your system.  Am guessing it is.

I hope this helps.

Regards. Pat