[Techtalk] What distro?

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 21:52:36 UTC 2010

Hey there,

L J L wrote:
> Little Girl wrote:
> > L J L wrote:

> > [Run command or Run application]

> > Ah, yes, it's GNOME it's missing from. KDE always has it. (:

> Ah.  Well, probably part why I don't really care for Gnome... But
> it's all personal taste in that.

Yep, same here, but I haven't yet given it a fair chance, so maybe
I would like it.

> > You know that you can make Kubuntu look just like Ubuntu, right?
> > Both are pretty well interchangeable when it comes to looks as
> > long as you're willing to play around with their themes, colors,
> > icons, and other settings for a while.

> Yeah, but I actually tried both, and found both very annoying to
> change easily other than purely cosmetic stuff.  The apparent
> difference between them is what window manager is the default, and
> you can always specify another, but the tools aren't always there.

Agreed. Also, there are certain programs in KDE that I've become
attached to. One (KXStitch - a cross stitch pattern designing and
editing program) doesn't exist at all in GNOME, one or two are
different in GNOME than they are in KDE (with Kjots, Kolourpaint,
and Akregator being prime examples of programs whose every detail
isn't duplicated in the GNOME offerings). GNOME, on the other hand,
has way more panel applets, and some of them are far nicer than the
ones offered by KDE. But in the end I've got warm fuzzies for the KDE
programs.

> > They restored enough original functionality to convince me that,
> > after a bit of tweaking, I should be able to get comfortable in
> > it. (:

> Yaaay!

Yes, I'm *so* happy to discover that! Thanks to the OP for starting
this thread or I might not have even looked. Now that I've found what
I want to upgrade to, I ordered a new CD/DVD drive to replace my
broken one so the upgrade can commence. (:

> >> Maybe they will figure out that the reason that people are
> >> migrating away from Windows is because they don't *want* a dumbed
> >> down interface...

> > Heh, I didn't know that. I figured that most people make the
> > switch for security reasons. I remember spending a good chunk of
> > my time maintaining, updating, and running all sorts of
> > anti-virus, anti-trojan, anti-spyware, anti-adware, and
> > anti-other-horrible-stuff programs. Being able to just simply
> > *use* my computer rather than dedicating myself to maintaining it
> > was a novel concept for me when I first switched over to Kubuntu.

> That too.  The AV, virus/trojan/spyware stuff is a nightmare, and
> Windows updates break things often.  Then running it is often BSOD
> and corrupted files all over the place.

I'd forgotten about those updates, and you're right that they often
broke things. Didn't they also interrupt things without saving, too?

> > There have to also be those who make the switch to save money. How
> > much does Windows cost nowadays? I know quite a few people who
> > have Windows even though the last price I remember for it was out
> > of their league, which brings me to the next reason: those many
> > who most likely have an illegal copy (which must be stressful). (:

> I don't know, since I haven't actually bought a copy in years.  The
> only Windows computer I own runs Win 2k.  Other than one provided
> by a job, I've been running Linux on my systems - desktop and
> laptop - for the last ten years.  The last time my roomies bought
> an OEM XP license for a system they were building, it was somewhere
> around $150.

Yeah, and figure it goes up every year, so it's a good chunk of
change now, I'm sure. You've been running Linux longer than me. I've
been using it for about three years now, and loving every moment of
it. (:

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.