[Techtalk] What distro?

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Sun Oct 17 22:54:07 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 10:04:00AM -0500, Billie Walsh wrote:
> If I wanted to use the command line routinely I would still be
> running DOS. I want a GUI. I want things that run in windows. I want
> convenience. When questions are asked and long strings of esoteric
> command line strings are given in reply it's an automatic turnoff. I
> understand that there are many that have used Linux from long before
> there was a GUI so they know more about CLI than they do GUI. But
> common, move into the twentieth century you guys. There are some
> things you can do with the CLI that you just cannot do with the GUI
> but when someone asks for help give out the GUI method when it's
> possible. Those esoteric command line string scare off people.

It's not a question of moving into the twentieth (or twenty-first)
century.  I CANNOT give out the "GUI method" because I don't know what
it is.  I simply do not have that data, because I don't use GNOME or
KDE.  Now, someone else who does might be able to, but as I pointed out
in another post, it's easier to use the GUI method when one is
physically standing next to the person, but not via email.

Yes, I am a geek.  I am extremely geeky, I'm a computer professional, so
I'm geeky day in and day out.  I'm not one of those assholes who screams
"RTFM" at people, but I'm still a geek, and I always will be.  If this
disqualifies me from helping people because I frighten them, well,
perhaps I'd better stop helping people altogether.

--
 _--_|\     | Kathryn Andersen	<http://www.katspace.org>