[Techtalk] getting rid of windows on a dual boot machine

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Sat Nov 13 00:42:58 UTC 2010

Hello, Miriam,

No, Miriam, xsane has all the controls you could imagine whereas the hp
software will make a great scan without touching anything and is in
any case far less configurable than xsane.

No, not the resolution, the actual colour. for instance a white page is
always white on the hp, on xsane it _always_ has colour casts which you
can never get rid of. There is no way to get the colour fidelity of the
hp software. Crazy.

but, worse, the scans are striped in colours from left to right. This
is noticeable on the preview even. At first i thought that maybe the
scanner was showing signs (like me) of old age, but back to hp and a
perfect scan everytime. Difficult to describe, but there has to be
something wrong at a very low level. I have the correct driver for the
scanner model, have even uninstalled totally and then done a complete
new install.

The fact is, it's like chalk and cheese, the xsane scanning is nigh
unuseable. I can see all the bells and whistles, everything seems to
work, but after a month of twiddling I am where I started.

I'll have to do some serious investigation, maybe find a dedicated
group. There is another gnome scanning package but under my ubuntu this
is definitely alpha stuff.

thanks for the input, don't waste more time on it, I must rtfm further.

anne